Potential PLUG Presentation?

Bart Garst plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
03 Nov 2002 16:22:23 -0700

On Sun, 2002-11-03 at 14:22, der.hans wrote:
clipped...

> They're entry level. I think A+ is required to take any other computer
> classes. I think we'd be best off doing a presentation on the desktop and
> covering some of the tech/server features ( remote admin, #1 web server,
> language support, update capabilities, lack of security mis-features, etc.
> ). We should probably also cover philosophy of Free Software.
>
> Those who've taken similar classes might be able to give us some insight on
> what would be best for us to cover. Kudzu? How the kernel controls the
> hardware? Writing device drivers?

I've taken this class at PVCC. You can find the Official Course Outline
at:
http://www.dist.maricopa.edu/cgi-bin/cpr.pl?trm=20026&crs=bpc170&inst=99
This class is only recommended as a prerequisite for some of the MS Cert
classes. It is entry level, it's only requirements are "Intro to
computers" and "Intro to DOS".

Writing device drivers would be too much for students in this class. I
think touching on how Linux manages the hardware, the way the kernel
loads and unloads modules, security features, and the concept of Open
Source would be good topics.

Another good idea would be to contact the instructor and ask her what
would be appropriate. Also, bringing a few Knoppix disks to hand out
wouldn't hurt.

Bart