InstallFest / Distribution Advice

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 31 May 2002 08:39:57 -0500 (CDT)

> I've always been attracted to GNU/Linux because of it's configuration
> and manipulation options. I've played with the Mandrake distribution,
> but it wasn't any fun because I didn't have to do anything. I need a
> distribution that will force me to learn all the dirty details. From
> what I've gathered online, Slackware is just that. A powerful,
> configurable, advanced distribution. I have two questions:

Two notable comments.

a. Make GNU\Linux your ONLY operating system.  It will FORCE you to do
things and learn quicker than any other method.  Ex. The first year I used
GNU\Linux at work only as a server (even though I had dual boot set on
many machines, I did little more than 'play').  Then second year I made it
primary desktop at home, and I started to have to really learn some new
things.  Third year I removed all windows boxen from my home and use only
sparingly at work and now my wife is a GNU\Linux user.  This made me gain
a whole new comprehension of GNU\Linux as I had no 'crutch' any longer.

b. All the distributions will let you get under the hood.  Slackware,
Debian and Gentoo are common 'hacker' distributions compared to say
Mandrake, Red Hat and SuSe.  However, I will say distribution is little
more than common preference. (my personal preference is Debian)  I
strongly will lean on a Carl's great words of wisdom.  "Use what your
friends use."  It really will make a difference.

> > A) Am I jumping in over my head? I'm very proficient with computers,
> I've been programming since before junior high with various flavors of
> basic and c. I'm certainly not daunted by the shell, command line, or
> non-graphical interfaces, in fact, they hold some sort of sick romantic
> draw for me. Should I start with a more user-friendly distribution or do
> you think I can handle Slackware?

Um my wife, a non techie, uses Debian daily.  There is this overriding
myth that one must be the Uber Hacker to use certain aspects of GNU\Linux.
I think the phrase, 'hard to learn, easy to use applies'.  As long as you
have 'friends' (see b above) that can help you learn, I dont think you
will have problems using.

> B) I read about the upcoming InstallFest June 22nd. I am very
> interested, and will probably attend if I haven't gotten this figured
> out by then (I'm pretty busy, so that's a definite possibility). I know
> I need to drag my tower, monitors and cables along, but do I need to
> bring a distribution?

I think they said standard distro's like Red Hat and Mandrake would be
there but to email if wanted another distro.  I would say if people
acknowledge they want Debian I can try to make it and provide disks.

(side note to organizers): Is there anyway we can bring monitors and
cables (at least a few) so folks need not drag the world with them, but
rather just a tower?

-derek