Windows and Linux

KevinO plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 26 May 2002 20:33:00 -0700

1) Is your clock set correctly ? This message says 10:44pm.

2) Windows will overwrite the MBR (master boot record) of the hard drive and
prevent you from being able to boot into Linux. This can be fixed by
'reinstalling' the bootloader. If you are running lilo it could be just as
simple as running the lilo command as root.(After adding a lilo menu entry for
the windows, of course.) You will need to get Linux to boot up first though.
(You did make a boot floppy during the install - right ?)

   Windows also has requirements about where on the hard drive it can be and
what type of partition. The partitioning tools that come from Redmond totally
choke if they can't understand the partition table. (And it can't with Linux
on it.)

   Bottom line is, Linux tries to be real friendly if it finds an already
existing WinBlows system and adds an option to boot up windows to the lilo or
grub menu. Windows wants to take over the whole drive.

Sorry if this sounds discouraging but that's the way it works.

KevinO

--
Kevin O'Connor

  "People will be free to devote themselves to activities that are fun ...

The GNU Manifesto - Copyright (C) 1985, 1993 Free Software Foundation, Inc.