Using Unauthorized Software Copies a Felony in Arizona

Victor Odhner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 24 May 2002 12:25:51 -0700

Bill -- was this with regard to RedHat ISOs?

William Lindley quoted ARS 44-1455:
>    "A person who knowingly uses, other than for personal,
>    noncommercial use, an unauthorized copy ...

Note that it says "other than for personal, noncommercial use".
(There may be other laws about personal use and licensing.)

But it looks like a lot of businesses are guilty of a
class 5 felony with regard to commercial software.
I wonder if the publishers have invoked this in AZ?

(By the way, this title also prohibits the removal of
shopping carts from store premises, but sets several
conditions as to what the cart's markings need to
include.)

Vic