What are some practical applications for Perl?

David A. Sinck plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 21 May 2002 15:52:09 -0700

\_ SMTP quoth Victor Odhner on 5/21/2002 14:32 as having spake thusly:
\_
\_ Mark Berkwitt wrote:
\_ > I'm considering learning Perl but I don't know what
\_ > Perl will give me.
\_
\_ Perl has proven a great language for CGIs, that is,
\_ external programs called by a web server to service
\_ web requests.  That's the good news.  The bad news is
\_ that in-process services such as PHP are more efficient
\_ and will be replacing Perl over coming years.

Um, mod_perl, anyone?

And as to PHP:

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.leak.php

Now there's an important feature in the *core* of any language.

David