Sandisk Card Reader

Jeffrey Pyne plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 21 May 2002 12:15:56 -0700

I've been working on getting my new digital camera working with RedHat 7.1,
and I imagine it's pretty similar to getting your device working.  Basically
you load the USB Mass Storage module and the SCSI modules (including
sd_mod), and then you are supposed to be able to mount the device as if it
were a VFAT partition on a SCSI disk (e.g. mount -t vfat /dev/sda1
/mnt/usb).  RedHat has a feature called "hotplug" (man hotplug) that may
also exist on Mandrake.  Look in your /var/log/messages file to see if the
device is being recognized.  I see lines like this when I attach my camera
to a USB port:

May 19 19:27:23 williams kernel: hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1,
assigned device number 2
May 19 19:27:23 williams kernel: usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x54c/0x10)
is not claimed by any active driver.
May 19 19:27:24 williams /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: ... no drivers for USB
product 54c/10/328

Hopefully those last two lines will look a little happier for you.

If your device is being recognized properly, you should be seeing something
in /proc/bus/usb/devices (although I haven't gotten far enough to tell you
what, exactly).  :)

A quick Google search turned up this page:
http://www2.one-eyed-alien.net/~mdharm/linux-usb/sandisk.html.  There's also
http://www.linux-usb.org.

Hopefully that's enough breadcrumbs to get you on track.

~Jeff