DNS Problems

Gary Nichols plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 15 May 2002 21:14:24 -0700

I have done something similar with Cox@home.  After my service was installed
here in Chandler, it went down at least once every 2 weeks for a few hours.
After some troubleshooting I found that their nameservers were toast.

I configured my internal DHCP server  to hand out my internal nameserver as
the primary nameserver (Sun Sparc5/75 running OpenBSD - oh yeah!) and WALAH -
not a problem since.  Not even ONE.

I had VDSL in Deer Valley for two years and never had a single problem.  Sorry
to hear that Anthem sucks - the service in DV was the best I've ever had from
an ISP.  I think I had one outage, but that was when I accidentally
disconnected my cable box.  d'oh

He can fix his problems by using an internal nameserver (best option if
possible) or using other nameservers as Matt pointed out.  If he doesn't
want dhcpcd wiping his changes, make /etc/resolv.conf immutable.

Gary