DNS Problems

Frank Mandato plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 15 May 2002 15:06:45 -0700

   I can not access any website with their FQDN, however I have no
problem getting anywhere when I use the numeric IP addresses.

  I had to change my server name to its numeric IP address in order to
send or receive mail.

  I am not running any DNS servers on my machine, sometimes I can use
domain names, sometimes I can't. I am with qwest ( not much longer ) and
I have a domain parked at zoneedit.com that I use on this machine as a
test bed.

  I have no problems pinging IP addresses, but can't ping domain names.

  My distro is RH 7.2 kernel 2.4.9 and I am using a Netgear NIC.

  Anyone have any ideas what I did wrong??

  TIA

  FrankM