Virus

John (EBo) David plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 07 May 2002 09:28:54 -0700

Victor Odhner wrote:

> "John (EBo) David" wrote:
> > When I am done with my thesis I am planning to take another serious look
> > at UML.  You might want to take a look at it too.
>
> You just drug me around a sharp corner there ...
>
> We were talking about viruses, then about VMWare.
> UML to me means Unified Modeling Language.
> Is that what you plan to take a serious look at?
> If so, how does it apply to this conversation?

It is unfortunate that they chose UML for the acronym...

I was refering to: User-mode Linux
<http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/>

it is similar to VMWare which set up a virtual machine capable of
running windows programs on it...  It is more than that, but I'll have
to let someone else explain that one since I gota go in a few...

The basic is that you can set up a virtual machine, trash it, and
restart without muching things up at all...  The only issue is wether
the virus you are inspecting modifies the hardware eeprom.