stupid web question

Mike Butash plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 5 May 2002 18:34:08 -0700

	Why do you need DNS servers?  I'm assuming if you're going to run a mail
server you want people to be able to actually send mail to you, you'll need
an MX record.  If you're going to send out from there, you'd better make
sure your isp will do reverse DNS for you as well to resolve the ip to your
domain, or most major isp's mta's will reject you as invalid.

	Other than that, most registrars (other than verisign) usually include DNS
services as a value add, and will do this for little or no extra cost.  Even
domainmonger @ 17 bucks a year for domain registration does this, and their
interface for additions is easy/painless with instantanious changes.
<gripe> Remind me again why people still use verisign/nsi? </gripe>

	Maybe a friend or one of the nice list folk admining some stable dns
servers would setup a zone for you if you don't want to build a few boxen to
run bind on?  Just point your root's to those...

-mbutash

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us]On Behalf Of VB
Sent: Sunday, May 05, 2002 4:35 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: stupid web question

Hi,

 I am getting ready to make my e-smith webmail server visible/accessible
from
the Internet.  I have purchased a domain name from Verisign.  But I do not
have a DNS server.  Verisign requires that I give them the names of two
DNS servers. I don't understand why ***I*** need a domain server.  I
understand why ***you*** need one, so that ***you*** can translate
domain name to ip.  But why do I need one at all?

SO I need to get two DNS servers; since I already have my own particular
domain name, what should I do?  I don't have any extra computers
laying around to set up bind.

Is there anything else I need to do to get "mydomainname.com" to work; I
mean is there anything else I need to do to get myself visible, accessible
from the Internet, or anthing else I need to do to keep Verisign happy? (I
realize these questions are not well-worded, sorry.)

Thanks

Eric