debian question

Bill Warner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
20 Mar 2002 09:48:40 -0700

another great thing about Debian is the kernel-package utility.  This
package replaces the usual make bzImage; make modules; make
modules_install with some scripts that will build a kernel deb package
for you.

here is the basics:

make x|menu|whateverconfig (like usual)
vi Makefile (change extra version to somehting you will remember like
-<your name>)
make-kpkg clean
make-kpkg kernel_image
dpkg -i ../kernel-image-<kernel-version>.deb

Bill W

On Tue, 2002-03-19 at 15:51, bob smith wrote:

> --- Bob George <mailings01@ttlexceeded.com> wrote:
> > "bob smith" <sekretskwerl@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I've been looking around the debian site at the
> > > different releases (stable, testing, and unstable)
> > but
> > > I'm a little confused about what kernels are
> > included.
> > > It seems that the 2.2r5 or Joel Klecker release
> > > contains the 2.2.19 kernel. Does this mean that
> > you
> > > then should go to a site such as kernel.org and
> > > download 2.4.18?
> >
> > Assuming you've got apt set up, you can update to a
> > newer pre-built kernel
> > via "apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-686" (or
> > whatever you prefer). To
> > see what's available, you can do "apt-cache search
> > kernel-image".
> >
> > If you're after source, you can do "apt-get install
> > kernel-source-<version>"
> > if you like. Of course, you can download the latest
> > from kernel.org and
> > build it from there as well.
> >
> > I only recently realized that using a .deb puts the
> > "working" .config in
> > /boot (i.e. /boot/config-24.18-686) if you want to
> > use that as a basis for
> > kernel tweaking. I wish I'd known that a couple of
> > months ago when trying to
> > figure out what was required to get VLAN support
> > working!
> >
> > - Bob
> >  ("unstable")
>
> Oh ok, thanks Bob. After reading about Gentoo (see
> Gontrans post) I think I want to try that out before Debian.

Bill Warner
Unix/Linux Admin.
Direct Alliance Corporation

Company required stuff:

Contents are Direct Alliance Corporation Confidential

This message is for the designated recipient(s) only and contains
Direct Alliance Corporation privileged and confidential information.
If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete the original.  Any other use of this email is prohibited.