Swag-Man

Victor Odhner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 22:15:20 -0700

"John (EBo) David" wrote:
> just got to ask... what you'all mean by SWAG.

Here's the definition of "swag" as a noun,
 from http://www.yourdictionary.com/

I think we're referring to definition #3, below.
Note also #5, which is relevant later in this discussion.

  Main Entry: 2swag
  Function: noun
  Date: 1660
  1 : SWAY
  2 a : something (as a decoration) hanging in a curve between
        two points : FESTOON b : a suspended cluster (as of
        evergreen branches)
  3 a : goods acquired by unlawful means : LOOT b : SPOILS, PROFITS
  4 : a depression in the earth
  5 chiefly Australian : a pack of personal belongings

As for "Swag-man", as in the song "Waltzing Matilda":

  Main Entry: swag.man
  Pronunciation: 'swag-m&n
  Function: noun
  Date: 1851
  chiefly Australian : DRIFTER; especially : one who carries
        a swag when traveling

... In our case, one who drifts into a PLUG meeting
carrying a swag to be looted by those in attendance.
Of course attendance at a PLUG meeting is "unlawful means"
since all your stuff are belong to Sony.

Vic