PLUG-discuss digest, Vol 1 #2013 - 18 msgs

Craig S. plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 10 Mar 2002 19:15:00 +0000

> Message: 2
> From: Wank8734@aol.com
> Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 15:57:37 EST
> Subject: Re: Learning Linux, beginner needs help...
> To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
>
> it seems as Mandrake is so far the only one I have been told to get. How does
> Debian compare to Mandrake in terms of what I want?

Hmm, I am on a slippery slope here. I am not really what you would call a guru or expert but I am not a novice or beginner either. I am
more of a experienced user. I am trying to upgrade three areas of my system right now. The GCC (compiler), the C-libraries (glibc), and
binutils. After getting these three up to date it is time for a update on my X server that runs windows.

After reading on everything but binutils it appears that RPM based linuc distributions have a hard time working with updated libraries.
They seem to be version dependent so when the libraries are updated the RPM's break which renders the system pretty much useless until
the RPM's are reinstalled. Seems to me this is more work than is necessary.

Now I started on slackware, ditched it to try Mandrake and Redhat, didn't like the RPM's because they were too easy to break so now I am
back to slackware. Personally I think that slackware is a great distro, it focuses on teaching you what you need to know for basic admin
while giving you a lot of insight into how a linux OS works. Plus I like the BSD like setup of slackware, just my preference. I am not
sure but I believe Slackware is one of the cheapest distros out. I purchased my 7.1 CD for 30 bucks, I didn't get any frills except
X-windows which means you will do a lot of downloading and installing over the next month or two (what better way to learn about your OS
though).

Craig S.