blanking CD hangs my system

Nancy Sollars plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 22:11:14 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lynn David Newton" <lynn.newton@cox.net>
To: "Phoenix Linux Users Group" <plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>
Sent: Saturday, March 09, 2002 9:52 PM
Subject: blanking CD hangs my system

> As long as a thread on CD burners has been started ...
>
> I have a Plextor Plexwriter PX-W8432/SW CD-RW burner.
> It worked fine for quite a while. I use it for system
> backups.
>
> Suddenly, whenever I try to blank a CD-RW disk, the
> system hangs flat, 100% of the time.
>
> The backup script I wrote first makes the ISO image of
> selected files, then blanks the disk, then records.
> During the blanking sequence it runs fine until the
> very end, when it's doing some sort of finalizing
> magic,

I believe this is area is finalizing the session ( closing the session )..

sometimes this can take longer than the actual burn itself ..

cdrecord does im happy to say do it properly ...

>at which point the system behaves like it hit a
> brick wall. There is no response to any keys, and I
> can't get to it from the Net. The only way to recover
> the system is to press the reset button.

Have you tried ..

1.    trying a newer version of cdrecord
2.    see if there are any reports of Firmware issues if so upgrade it

I have a cdd2600 philips scsi device that does'nt play nice at all and only
cdrecord can kick it where it hurts to make it behave or so to speak.. I did
have to Firmware upgrade both my Adaptec Scsi card and the burner ..

cdrecord still complains slightly about the scsi card and its throughput

but it burns quite nicely.

> Needless to say, this is not pleasant, and is not
> characteristic of Linux.
>
> I hadn't even tried this for quite some time (which
> means that I haven't been doing backups). Last week I
> thought I'd give it another spin in case something
> miraculsouly healed itself. It hadn't. Bang! Ticked me
> off, because I hadn't rebooted the system since
> mid-Novemeber, even through all the home.com => cox.net
> transition.
>
> My guess is that I may have done something screwy to
> the drivers last time I rebuilt the kernel, but I can't
> imagine what. I'm able to mount and unmount CD-RW disks
> that are good, and I'm able to make ordinary CDs.
>
> Does anyone have a clue how I might investigate this
> problem further?

try checking the above.. keep me updated

Nige