CD burner software

Shawn Rutledge plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 22:05:02 -0700

CDParanoia is for ripping music... and darn good at it too.

Grip is a GTK program which allows you to rip tracks, convert them
to MP3, give them appropriate names, etc. with a nice GUI interface.
You only need disk space for a couple tracks at a time, not the
entire CD.

As for needing to be root, I think it's a matter of having the right
permissions for /dev/scd0 (or whatever your CD drive is).  If the
user you normally log in as has read/write permission to that device
it's probably enough.  I never ran it as root.

Now if you are actually talking about burning data CDs, then by all
means XCDRoast is pretty good.