login

Julian Catchen plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 11:05:50 -0500

If you are using gdm, the Gnome Display Manager (a replacement for xdm), then
you can set it up to auto log in.

julian

-----Original Message-----
Date:    Wed, 6 Mar 2002 08:40:57 -0700
To:      <plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>
From:    "Charlie Bullen" <pcello@mindspring.com>
Sender:  plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: login

Is there anyway in either RedHat 7.2, using the gnome desktop, or Suse 7.3, using KDE, to designate a default user, such that the default user would not have to login manually. This is for an elderly first time computer user, who has trouble even with the concept of loging in.  Once she gets logged in though, she is getting pretty good playing solitaire. Email is next since she wants to be able to see pictures of her grand children and great grandchildren, who all have digital cameras and email pictures back and forth.

As an alternative, I thnk I remember that Mandrake alows for a default user. Does anyone in North Central Phoenix have Mandrke 8.1 disks that I could burn a copy of.

So far this old lady is completely untainted by M$ proucts, more than I can say about myself.

Regards,

Charlie Bullen