Problems with DHCPCD and Cox.net

Mike Butash plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 2 Mar 2002 16:41:56 -0700

	I would suggest setting up a local resolver, but other than that, no.  Dns
is included in the dhcp advertisements, so you should/could be pulling them
from there.  Essentially the IP's for those dns servers shouldn't be
changing anytime soon again, as the only reason they did is @home shut down
their old local dns boxen when they shut down the company for good friday
morning.  If you want, resolve and set ns1.coxmail.com and ns2.coxmail.com
for tertiary and quadrary (sp?).  They won't change, but they are not local
to phoenix.

-mbutash

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us]On Behalf Of Lee Einer
Sent: Saturday, March 02, 2002 3:56 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: Problems with DHCPCD and Cox.net

Thanks, Ed-
You're a prince among men. I plugged in the new DNS numbers you suggested,
and I now have connectivity with the internet through Linux once more. I
don't have a router box- mine is just a stand-alone PC. Is there a way for
me to detect the correct DNS numbers if Cox decides to change things again
in the future?
Thanks again, and thanks to all who responded to my post.
Lee Einer
Ed Cernek wrote:
 This may not apply to you, but I, too, had COX problems this morning. I was
able to solve it by changing my dns'. The old ones were 24.1.240.x. My
LinkSys router box, which is dhcp to COX, now reports the dns as 68.2.16.30
and 68.1.208.30. I plugged these in and it worked like a charmEd.