Samba Help??

Yicheng Li plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 13:08:37 -0700

1.  Check to see that nmbd and smbd process are still running.  Try killing
them and then restarting them again.

2.  'nmbd' handles the browsing aspects of Samba.  Check the log files.  You
can usually find some clues as to what went wrong.  It should be something
like nmbd.log, or samba.log, or something.  They way they are configured
depends on how samba is configured.   So check smb.conf.  Also check the
debug level, since this affects what kind of messages are logged.

3.  Sometimes windows networks (especially large domains and workgroups)
take a long time to update and propogate.  I've seen instances where it can
take several hours to update.  Sometimes though, I've seen a machine that
just refuses to show up on the network without any explanation.  In that
case, I've changed the Samba hostname (different than you Linux hostname)
and finally got it to work.

Hope this helps.

>Message: 2
>From: Carl Parrish <cparrish@cox.net>
>To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
>Subject: Samba Help??
>Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 14:13:54 -0400
>
>I let some Window users talk me into rebooting my Linux box to try to fix a
problem >now my Samba is fubared. I've restarted /usr/bin/smbd and
/usr/bin/nmbd but now I >can't see any of the window boxes on the network
anyone have any ideas?