Security Rant (was Re: ipchains issue (Re: Webmin via Apache))

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 22:12:35 -0400

George's $0.02.

In the area of running boxes inside a network (LAN) that has a firewall
protecting them from the bad Internet, I am at odds with some
corporations, who shall remain nameless.  I feel every box on the
network should be able to stand on its own without the firewall (at
least for a few hours).  This provides redundancy - if the main firewall
fails or is compromised, you have one more layer of protection.  Look at
it like a bank - do you think they use just one lock to keep the bad
guys out?

Yes, I practice what I preach - my workstation runs a firewall just as
strong as my dedicated hardware firewall.  That way, if I goober up the
hardware firewall, I'm not left naked with my arse hanging out.

So running ipchains on an internal box is not a bad thing - just make
sure you know why you are doing it.

George
Paranoid at Large