My letter

Tom Emerson plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 21:09:25 -0700 (MST)

Changed "County Council" to read "County Board of Supervisors".  Also, put
your email address and telephone number under your address and sig.  Real
people with telephones and addresses in the district carry more weight.
If you're not in the district, why should your message be read?

Everybody, please please proof this, reword if needed.  When you send this
message to any of the County Board of Supervisors, it will first be
screened by their staff.  This email may, or may not be read by your
Supervisor.

Variation on the theme may help the message get noticed.  Certainly a few
hundred will get attention.

Councilman Brock,

I am writing you in regards to the news that the Maricopa County Board of
Supervisors is debating an Enterprise Agreement with Microsoft.  However,
I have read  that according to Maricopa County Policies, Microsoft should
be disqualified from any contractual business with the County. I would like
to declare my support for Microsoft's disqualification.

According to MC1-902 DEBARMENT AND SUSPENSION OF CONTRACTORS, I read the
following:

"B. The causes for Debarment or Suspension shall include, but are not
limited to, the following:
2. Conviction of any Person or any subsidiary or affiliate of any Person
under any statute of the Federal government, this State or its political
subdivision or any other State for:
k. Any other offense indicating a lack of business integrity or business
honesty which affects responsibility as a Contractor.
3. Conviction or civil judgment finding a violation by any Person or any
subsidiary or affiliate of any Person under State or Federal Antitrust
Statutes."

Microsoft, having been convicted of Federal Antitrust Statutes (penalties
pending), clearly falls into the catagory described in part 3, and several
court cases past and pending show a clear lack of integrity and business
honesty as outlined in part 2.  I cannot find that ANY government body
would be willing to work with such contractors, let alone having rules
against it and clearly ignoring those rules.

There are many alternatives to Microsofts products.  Alternatives that
have broken no laws, Federal or Local, are well supported and used by many
large governments (Germany, Taiwan, et al).  As a concerned voter in
Chandler, I must point out that I cannot support criminal behavior and
would hope that my County Board of Supervisors would see fit to do the
same and ONLY consider alternatives as Microsoft is clearly unqualified to
meet County requirements.

Thank You,

my name and address