PLUG on Slashdot

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 20:21:28 -0400

I sincerely believe the retraining costs for switching to Sun StarOffice
from Microsoft office would amount to 1 hour per person.  Computer Based
Training (CBT) can be created as a reference for under $40,000.  The
cost savings by switching (about $140 per PC per year) would recoup the
training expenses in less than a year.

Most companies will embark on a venture if they can recoup their
investment in 2-5 years.  That should make this a no-brainer.

I am not advocating replacing Windows with Linux (yet), just the Office
Productivity software.  As I understand it, if a company buys a PC with
Windows installed, the license is still perpetual, not the three-year
renewing kind (am I wrong?).  That being the case, running Windows still
makes sense for now.  Office, on the other hand, does not.

George