install fest suggestion

Matt Wyant plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 14:11:31 -0700

- -----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us]On Behalf Of
Robert
A. Klahn
Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2002 11:54 AM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: install fest suggestion

I dont know if kernel compiling is a skill that every Linux user
needs
to know. An enormous amount can be done with most distributions
before
the point where one needs to know how is reached.

Bash skills, however, are probably basic. It might be possible to get
by without, but I would not want to try.

That being said, I think the suggestion, for both Bash and Kernel
Compiling, is a good one, given sufficient intrest.

Bob.

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002 12:30:28 -0700,
plug-discuss-request@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us said:

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 10:44:52 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Alpha Zenon Sanchez <alpha_zenon@yahoo.com>
> Subject: install fest suggestion
> To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
>
> Hello Linux Users -
>
> I was wondering if anyone cared to give demonstrations
> on the proper way of compiling a Linux Kernel during
> the installfest (I'm looking forward to it btw). I'm
> starting get a 'feel' for Linux, and I've read
> HOW_TO's
> and various articles on compiling, but they're all
> different. I've downloaded articles from ZDNET and
> techrepublic as well. These articles say different
> things which would confuse a Linux beginner.
>
> My thinking is that some people that will show up at
> the intallfest are Linux 'newbies' and would jump at
> a chance to watch Linux users who have been doing this
> a while demonstrate some Linux skills.
>
> Besides Kernal compiling and basic bash commands, what
> else should a Linux user know?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> -Alpha
>
> =====
> Thanks,
> Alpha Zenon Sanchez

> http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

Robert A. Klahn
robert@kint.org
AIM: rklahn

"Hope has two beautiful daughters: Anger and Courage. Anger
 at the way things are, and Courage to struggle to create
 things as they should be." -- St. Augustine