Typical InstallFest install - hope not!!

plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 9 Jun 2002 20:47:49 -0700

My boss picked up a new Sony Vaio at the Sony Store in Chicago this week so I
decided to do a Mandrake install a la InstallFest to see how long it might
take.

Since the computer has one 6Gb partition with ME installed Mandrake would have
to shrink that to make room for Linux. Of course, you can install Mandrake in
a folder on the Windows partition but who would want to do that?

So, first thing I needed to defrag Windows. Two hours and several cross-linked
files later I was able, finally, to boot the Mandrake CD. Even though there
was 2.78Gb free space on the C: drive Mandrake could only recover 700Mb!

The moral - If this is a typical install we'll run out of time and better have
lots of Partition Magic CDs handy!

Dennis Kibbe

Everyone should have http://www.freedom2surf.net/