sound and XMMS

mazdaracer plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 04 Jun 2002 16:59:04 -0700

I too have it dual booted on my laptop and it's ok there. I'm using
Mandrake 8.1. In fact, I just tried to go over to KDE (works ok) then
back to Ice and it didn't 'fix itself' like it sometimes does.

I use the OSS Driver 1.2.5 [libOSS.so] pointing to /dev/dsp as the
alternate device; switching to default and trying to play gives me the 3
points of why I can't open the sound. I've got a SB Live audio card.

This is interesting:
[pete@rotor pete]$ ll /dev/dsp
ls: /dev/dsp: No such file or directory
[pete@rotor pete]$ ll /dev/d*
/dev/discs:
total 0
lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           30 Dec 31  1969 disc0 ->
../ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/

/dev/dri:
total 0
crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root     226,   0 Jun  1 19:56 card0
[pete@rotor pete]$ ll /dev/sound
total 0
crw-------    1 pete     audio     14,   4 May 24 19:28 audio
crw-------    1 pete     audio     14,   3 May 24 19:28 dsp
crw-------    1 pete     audio     14,  19 May 24 19:28 dsp1
crw-------    1 pete     audio     14,   5 May 24 19:28 dspW
crw-------    1 pete     audio     14,   2 May 24 19:28 midi
crw-------    1 pete     audio     14,  18 May 24 19:28 midi1
crw-------    1 pete     audio     14,   0 May 24 19:28 mixer
crw-------    1 pete     audio     14,   1 May 24 19:28 sequencer
crw-------    1 pete     audio     14,   8 May 24 19:28 sequencer2
[pete@rotor pete]$

There should be a /dev/dsp entry but clearly none exist. I changed the
sound to point to /dev/sound/dsp and now it's ok.    This is kind of
strange!

pete