Bundesregierung waehlt Linux

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 14:01:55 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 3 Jun 2002 dennisk@sahuaro.f2s.com wrote:

> IBM signs Linux deal with Germany
>
> You've all seen the SlashDot story probably. I big win, of course. Germany's
> Interior Minister, Otto Schilly, picked Linux to help cut costs and improve
> security in the nation's computer networks.

What is interesting is GNUe has large developer base in Europe,
specifically Austria and Germany.  So I get to communicate with folks
there a lot.  In discussing this with them, what they all find funny is
this is old news.

German Parliment dictated some time ago that they would be move their
servers to GNU/Linux.  They even produced a roadmap that all servers would
be converted by XXXX date.  This announcement is merely that they have
chosen a vendor.

BTW: Those that like this move, please note that the FSF Europe played a
major role in making it happen as part of their "Bundestux" initiative.
("Federal Tux")

I find it interesting that American news agencies really aren't reporting
much on this, I believe the Slashdot story is from BBC.

-Derek