Motherboard with linux question

Patrick Hustis plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 01 Jun 2002 12:08:14 -0700

I have a machine with one of these motherboards in it.  The only problem
that I've noticed was with the sound.  I installed Lycoris Desktop/LX, and
for the life of me just couldn't get the sound working.  I even tried the
Alsa drivers, but still nothing.

I then installed Mandrake 8.2 on it, and it configured the sound
automatically.  Although it worked, occasionally the sound would cut out
and require a reboot.  This would happen roughly once or twice a week with
the system being used nightly for several hours.  The only other thing is
that whenever KDE would play a desktop sound, there would be a very small
but noticeable chirp just before the sound played.  It sounded like I was
hearing the sounds through a walkie-talkie.

Other than that, everything else on the board worked and, apart from the
sound, was very stable.

I ended up putting Windows on that particular machine, because it's my sons
computer and he likes to visit kids sites that use Flash 5, and I have yet
to find a Linux browser that will run all of the flash games.  That's the
ONLY thing keeping a Windows box at my house.   It's funny because my son
(8 years old) just asked if I could make his computer run both so he could
use Windows for the flash sites, but Linux for everythig else.   (Sorry,
getting a little off topic here, hehe).

Patrick