Plug (und cox) (fwd)

John Olson plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 19:22:58 -0700

Does anyone have Cox in/near central Tempe and had the good luck of
everyone that's been posting?  I have a cvs repository that I have to
access remotely and a changing IP or blocked ssh ports wouldn't work
very well for me.  But I'm so sick of the SprintBBD service that I might
tolerate a little inconvenience.  Sadly, Qwest just can't seem to answer
anything about availablitly of DSL in my neighborhood.

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us] On Behalf Of Mike
Starke
Sent: Monday, July 29, 2002 7:04 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: Plug (und cox) (fwd)

I live around Tatum & Union Hills (moved here last Sept) and despite the
horror stories I heard about COX throughout the years, sprung for a
cable modem. I have been 100% satisfied with the service here.

The guy came out, ran a cable up to my office, and then left.
I plugged in my OpenBSD box, and have had the same IP since last
september.

I had a IPSEc tunnel to my previous employer with no problems at all,
and I run some demo stuff off my home web server (just forwArded port
8080 on the OpenBSD box to my apache Linux box) with no problems at all.
I even have mail sent to my home box on p25 with no problems.

So, in my humble opinion, it has nothing to do with valley location or
whether it is COX or not; I think it has to do with alignment of pluto
and mars on any given day.

Of course, I did fail to mention that the cable for TV sucks. Snow, snow
everywhere except 1 or two channels. However, as long as the data
service remains the same, I'm not complaining :-)

v/r
Mike