Bandersnatch, Anti-Spam, Debian

Scott Henderson plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 27 Jul 2002 01:14:48 -0400 (EDT)

>From: Derek Neighbors <derek@gnue.org>
>
>Certainly if you do this exercise please make a step by step guide.  I
>think PLUG should be posting step by step guides from its members and
>setting up a mechanism for other members to comment on it.
>
>This would
>
>a. Increase knowledge by sharing information. (in easy to find manner w/o
>clogging the list.
>b. Give people new to PLUG or outside who has experience in doing what to
>be better resources.
>c. Shows people real strengths of PLUG.
>d. By allowing comments, might even help those submitting the information
>get more knowledge.

Definitely a good idea.  I have a fair amount of documentation
already on this project. I'll be sure to contribute what I end up
with.  To give a bit more detail, what I'm doing - and as I
understand it Bob is working on almost the exact setup - is
create a Linux mail server to be used as a spam (and/or virus)
blocker.  This box would not deliver any mail locally, but screen
inbound mail from the Internet, and pass the mail to an Exchange
server. (Of course, this setup could be used with local delivery
on the same box, which is a configuration much easier to find
documentation on).  The Windows world doesn't seem to offer any
really good solutions here, from what I've seen.  The combination
of postfix -> amavisd-new -> Spamassassin/Razor offers a lot of
flexibility, security, and speed.

Spam has become an extremely annoying problem at my company, as
it has almost everywhere, and I saw a chance for this project to
introduce an Open Source solution to an otherwise MS-based IT
Dept.  Perhaps others might be able to do this as well.  My test
box is RH 7.3.  (Got the CD at the last Install Fest!)  I hope to
have a step-by-step guide finished in a week, and will also have
specs on performance tests in another week or so.

Again, 2pm Saturday at Bandersnatch, if you want to drop in.
I'll buy the first round.  :^P