Wine Experience?

Kyle OMalley plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 17:21:15 -0700

Robert Bushman wrote:
> Is anyone here familiar with Wine who would be willing
> to walk someone through the inital hurdles?

>  "We need commonsense judges who understand that our rights were
>  derived from God. Those are the kind of judges I intend to put on
>  the bench." President George W. Bush, 27 June 2002
>  http://www.nando.net/politics/story/453192p-3627921c.html
>
>  "no religious Test shall ever be required" Constitution Article 6
>  http://www.law.emory.edu/FEDERAL/usconst/art-6.html

I'm sure once the IT expo concludes you'll get some help with some people who
use WINE regularly, untill then - What do you plan on using inside wine? The
reason I ask is that the wine source has somewhat forked recently with the
creation of WineX (www.transgaming.com). Its geared specificly twords using
directx and other win32 games inside its enviroment.The cvs version you can
download for free (LGPL I think) worked great for a few older games.
The "member" version works even better - Counter-strike running at 99fps,
sound working PERFECTLY all while in window I could move around to watch irc
or whatever. I'm not sure but I think winex includes the full or atleast
partial wine code, I can't see regular win32 apps not working the same or
better than using strict wine code.

As for getting anything working? Its something thats going to take a
considerable effort on your part, I don't think its going to be as simple as
someone else installing it then you being able to just make stuff work.
You've really got to become knowledgable on how the whole (very complicated)
thing works, (being brutally honest now).. which would probably include being
able to install it yourself based off known working documentation. Just my .02.

-Kyle