Question for BSD'ers

bob smith plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 21 Jul 2002 20:55:02 -0700 (PDT)

--- Adrian Mink <adrian@minkland.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I know this is a linux list, but I know there are
> some BSD folks here and hope I could get a question
> answerd. I've been thinking of playing with BSD for
> a while and just put together a new box for it. I
> was hoping someone could explain the differences
> between FreeBSD and OpenBSD. Are they signifigant?
> Meant for a different audience? Thanks for any help!
>

> Adrian

I personally use FreeBSD as my desktop OS and I love
it. FreeBSD and OpenBSD are pretty similar. They both
use the ports tree (as well as NetBSD, give that one a
look too). The ports tree allows you to type "make
install" and it takes care of fetching source,
building, installing, and registering the installed
files in a database. The major difference between
OpenBSD and FreeBSD is the code auditing process that
OpenBSD goes through. This is a constant process of
finding and plugging holes in the operating system.
FreeBSD seems to have more users at least in my
experience. You can go to a Barnes and Noble store and
pick up an intro FreeBSD book, but I have yet to see
an introductory OpenBSD book.I say try them all and
stick with the one you like best :).