Interesting Article - Linux users going back to $M

Alan Dayley plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 05:41:29 -0700

The cut and paste behavior that I like in Windows is the highlight - replace
sequence.  ie. Highlight something, press ctl-c to copy it to the clipboard,
highlight what you want to replace, press ctl-v to delete the highlighted
item and paste the clipboard in it's place.

Default behavior in X is to put something on the clipboard as soon as you
highlight it.  This means that to perform the operation I describe above you
must highlight what you want to end up with, paste it next-to what you want
to replace, highlight what you don't want and delete or cut it.

The number of moves or clicks is about the same but when you are used to the
former, the latter can get annoying when you forget the difference (as I
sometimes do).

Alan