Interesting Article - Linux users going back to $M

Victor Odhner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 22:03:24 -0700

Lynn David Newton wrote:
> As for requiring a command line to install something:
> What's the big deal about that? I prefer it that way.
> At least then you can see what's going on.

Well, as a lifelong techie I tend to agree with you.
But I'm interested in seeing Linux become popular on
the GUI desktop, and that means accommodating to people
who DO NOT DO the command line.  This is not a lack of
sophistication.  It is just a different way of thinking.

We command line folks are in the minority.

Salespeople, executives, and artists for the most part
want to use the machine to get results, and they want
their Ferrari to drive like a Geo only faster.
Point it down the street, step on the gas, and go.
You shouldn't have to designate the octane rating,
specify which side of the road we'll drive on, and
go under the hood to turn the ignition key.

Hey, I'm a programmer, and I'm responsible for a
lot of this kind of thing because I am undaunted by
command lines and config files.  But we are trying
to "go public" here, and we will just continue to get
a lot of strange looks from ordinary people until
Linux becomes an environment friendlier to those people.

Linux could do so much better, but it lacks integration
and adherence to the customers' requirements.
This will improve.  And it needs to.

And a lot of people in this group are the type of folks
who can make it happen -- as proven by the class and
professionalism displayed at the Maricopa County meeting.

Remember, the main requirement from most of the customers'
point of view is that the system do what is expected.
No reason this couldn't happen, but Unix/Linux traditions
are being treated as absolutes so that a Mac/Windows
oriented person has to make all sorts of arbitrary
adjustments to get aboard.  Linux needs to carve out
a smaller world where these people can feel safe,
to begin with.  We can nail down a spec and beat the
competition at their own game, without compromising the
bigger world that we all know exists within the GNU
environment.

And start with "normal" clipboard management!  Sheesh!

Vic