voice message

John (EBo) David plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 19:29:00 -0700

Derek Neighbors wrote:

> > Whomever has done so, you need to follow the link on the website to
> > unsubscribe.  I did not personally subscribe you to this list and I do not
> > appreciate the nasty message.
>
> Hey if mass murderers can blame their parents for their behavior why cant
> we blame you for not unsubscribing us from email lists?

oooo... we could take that ALL sorts of places...  Let's not and say we
did ;-)

Anyway, not knowing what is on the message I cannot comment on it
specifically, but let me point out a couple of things that might make
this difficult.  Since I am not ready to unsubscribe from PLUG I do not
want to muck with this for the moment but will next week as I will be
moving in about 10 days...

I have a situation with another list where I subscribed and can get
email, but cannot manage the list.  Why is that?  Well, the machine
originating my email (my Linux box) is not the same as my email server.
So when I send email out it bounces because the address is not
recognized.  If I set the address such that I can post messages, then I
cannot receive them because I have it set up so I do not receive email
originating outside of my machine -- i.e. it is a one way pipe (out) and
if I want email to come in then I ask for it (from the server).  At
least that is what I remember of the problem...

Also, most email lists are password protected these days.  How do you
get off a list if you either forgot the password or someone else
subscribed you.  At that point I email the list admin/root/postmaster at
the originating machine or actually call them.  I typically try to be
polite as it is unlikely the admin.'s fault, but I've been tempted a
time or two to contact a lawyer (I receive nearly 100 email messages
each and every day that are nothing but SPAM, thankfully my ISP has
recently installed SPAM-assasin and I can filter for "X-SPAM-FLAG"
contains "YES" or some such and look over the titles later)...

  EBo --