Good Books Summary

Robert Bushman plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 16:56:46 -0400 (EDT)

Here's a summary of the books that were suggested.
Looks like Cryptonomicon is the most voted for.
This is also available at:
http://traxel.com/doc/geek-books.txt if you want
a convenient way to print it.

The Adolescence of P1
  It is Science-Fiction about the "ultimate" virus
  and was written BPC (Before PC).

Shockwave Rider

Secrets & Lies by Bruce Schneier
  a good read, but not a novel.
  I believe James Brunner is the author of Shockwave Rider.
  Actually, it's John Brunner.

Stand on Zanzibar
The Jagged Orbit
The Sheep Look Up
  Other books by John Brunner that are worth reading
  The last one is quite depressing, however.

Java How to Program
  from Dietel & Dietel is a really good book.

The Truth Machine
  it was pretty interesting. It's more quasi-IT than IT,
  but pretty good. I don't remember the author's name.
  The author is James L. Halperin. Good sci-fi, IMHO.=20

Soul of a New Machine
  by Tracy Kidder
The New New Thing
  by Michael Lewis

TechTV|Screensavers|Geek Library
  for more recommendations.
  http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/supergeek/story/0,24330,3319484,00.html

Hackers: Heros of the Computer Revolution
  Steven Levy.

Godel, Escher, Bach:  An Eternal Golden Braid
  Douglas Hofstadter.
  I would call this book computer related, but not
  IT related though.

Snowcrash
Cryptonomicon
  pretty interesting reads.
  I enjoyed reading anything by Neal Stephenson, although he
  is a *little* long winded.
  The main character in Cryptonomicon uses an OS called
  "Finux".  Heh

Cryptonomicon
Open Sources
The Cathedral and The Bazaar
Being Digital

Under the Radar
Takedown
  Just For Fun
  pretty good as well

The Dream Machine
  M Mitchell Walthrop
  another good one not so much *IT*  related as it is to
  the history and pioneers of the computing revolution.
  Circa the early 1900's.

Cryptonomicon
  Neal Stephenson
  beware -it's nearly 1000 pages!

The Deadline
  Tom DeMarco.
  a great fictional book about project management.
  one of the best books I have read.

In the beginning there was the command line
  non-fiction book by Stephenson is
  [ed - this was used by Stephenson as a marketing
  device for Cryptonomicon, and is available online
  at: http://www.cryptonomicon.com/beginning.html ]

Where wizards stay up late
  non-fiction book about the creation of the internet

Hackers
  Stephen Levy
  a good book

True Names
  Vernor Vinge
  rereleased and has a bunch of articles in it along
  with the story.
  Fiction

Otherland series
  Tad Williams
  should be good. I am about 200 pages into the first
  book.

The Road Ahead
  Bill Gates.
  Seriously.