MS Publisher replacements?

Tom Emerson plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 10:26:09 -0700 (MST)

Matt, this is true, though I don't think I'm making my point well.
(btw, this was for a group of 25 W2K desktops).

It is that we need to have the ready answers to questions posed during
assessment and scoping meetings and planning phases.

The failure was mostly my team in not having ready solutions based on
lower-cost/no-cost softwares.  We blew it because after hearing that
Publisher isn't part of the package, the concerns quickly moved toward the
question of "what else is missing here?".

The driver is to reduce software license management and aquistion costs.
If the solution can readily be  accomplished with no-cost open-source/GNU,
good.  If not, then move  up the ladder to lower cost solutions exist as
alternatives to the  'industry standard'.  (I think the alternatives to
AutoCAD are a good  example, why incurr a kilo-buck per seat expenses when
excellent $200  alternatives are available?)

Using the APLUG site to collect real-world examples, real scenarios, real
solutions on Linux would really help.  I've a handful of links to
contribute, but not yet a lot of real customers who've migrated to Linux
Desktops.

 o tom e.
---------