Achieving small victories

RJV plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 10:37:26 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Matt Alexander wrote:

> County is good target - keep working with them
>
> Libraries
>
> OpenOffice to schools and any other financially strapped orgs.  Show up and
> give them a CD?
> Give/install OO on all your friend's and family's computers.
> Suggestions on getting OO into student's hands at ASU and community
> colleges?
>
> Get Hans into Maricopa County - Hans, bite the bullet and use a Windows
> box to apply for the position.
>
> Give out OO at work.

An idea I had last night was the following.

Set up a site that can be found through PLUG - hopefully with a short
domain name (reason will become clear in a bit).  On this site, have
actively maintained links to free (beer and freedom) software that runs on
multiple platforms.  Have a brief description as to what each package
does, and list the types of non-free programs which these can
replace/outperform.  Make sure that this domain name has links to PLUG
clearly labeled.  "For more help, contact: " etc...

Then, take out small classified adds at regular intervals in the Phoenix
papers. (Thus, the domain name needs to be short). Have these placed in
the "free" or "computers" section of the
classified.

Free software. www.PLUGFREE.com.

Domains available include plugfree.com/net/org

Short, sweet, cheap.  And it could increase the membership and useage with
little effort and cost on our part.  And it has a certain "guerilla"
aspect to it as well.

I personally will purchase the first classified ad if the backend is set
up.  I'll also be willing to hunt up good projects and help with the
layout ideas for the page.

-- RJV --					..ooOO miracle@procyon.com

-- Institution of Postgraduate Education - Graduation 2001
-- Institution of Undergraduate Education - Alumnus 1997

The opinions expressed in any email originating from this account are the
sole opinions of the author.  They do not reflect the opinions or policies
of any institution or individuals other than myself.