Little bash programming

Kevin Brown plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 21:44:46 -0700

hmm, command-line quickies?

"cd -" : takes you to the last directory you were in.  Good way to bounce
between two directories in far areas of the filesystem.
"cd ~" or "cd" : takes you to your home directory.
"rpm -qa | grep <text>" : find a package if it was installed.
"tail -f <file>" : watch a file as it changes.  Can't think of a way to do this
in Windows and notepad can't deal with large text logs.  Would hate to think
what would happen opening the logs in Word.

can't think of any other quicky command-line tricks, but most commonly used unix
commands for me are (in no particular order): cd, ls, grep, rpm, sed, awk, vi,
man, and tail.

Anyone want to expand on this?