County Forum Questions

Seth Johnson plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 07 Jul 2002 23:15:17 -0400

Robert, et. al.,

This is really impressive.  I think you've taking exactly
the right tone and approach, just setting yourself to take
the first steps.  About three specific suggestions.  Sorry
for the late comments, but these are quick cuts and pastes
that you just might manage to put together before the show:

I thought it would be best not to end on the RFP question.
Maybe start with it, or just put it somewhere higher, so you
end on a good point.

The rest of my comments have to do with not handing too much
over to the side of the way Maricopa County apparently sees
these matters.  Some pieces of this seem more like they're
there as notes for your folks going in.  Good points to have
in mind, but not necessarily to hand to the other side in
written form.  You could leave the parts I suggest excising,
for your verbal comments.  You can read here, or just jump
to the whole package I attach below.

So:

Take out the second sentence under "Experimental Migrations"
and rename the section "Migration from Single Source:"  I
think the experimental point is a great one, but it can be
left out to help shore up your own position.

> Migration from Single Source
> ----------------------------
> Maricopa County has achieved an extremely high degree
> of interoperability by using a single source for all
> software systems.  Now that the initial effort of
> integration is largely complete, when will efforts
> begin to migrate from single-source dependency?

Rename the one section "Competitive Pricing."

A little rewrite for "Dependency Spiral:"

> Dependency Spiral
> -----------------
> While the use of a single source greatly facilitates
> integration, the longer it continues, the harder it is
> for employees to move productively between similar
> products from competing vendors. What steps is Maricopa
> County taking to prevent a dependancy spiral and
> restore competition for its budget?

That's it.  Here's a suggested total package, with all the
pieces in a slightly different order:

--

[CC] Counter-copyright:
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/cc/cc.html

Original authorship should be attributed reasonably, but
only so far as such an expectation might hold for usual
practice in ordinary social discourse to which one holds no
claim of exclusive rights.