Mandrake and KDE

KevinO plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 07 Jul 2002 19:18:54 -0700

  Short answer : http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/mdk-kde3.0.php3
New versions have come out since this page was made. To get an ftp link on
this page to work, change the '3.0' to '3.0.2'. Download the whole lot by

wget -r ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/3.0.2/Mandrake/8.2/

more information below...

Tom Achtenberg wrote:
> I just installed Mandrake 8.2 and want to upgrade to KDE 3.0.2  It comes with
> KDE 2.2.  I have downloaded the Mandrake rpmm's but have not been able to add
> the directory with thme in tas a source ffor the Mandrake Update.

  This is not really an update, since kde3 is part of cooker, not 8.2 . You
may be able to add a cooker source though.

> Every time
> I try it goes to where it is trying to load the files for the source and
> hangs up.  I even let it run overnight.  The only way out is to power off as
> it won't even shut down at that point.

  Can't you get to a virtual console and shut it down there ? Or ssh in from
another box ?

> The only thing I can think of is I
> don't know what to put in the "Actual path or synthesis" space on the sopurce
> so I leave it blank.

  You can't add a source unless it has a hdlist.cz file with it. It is asking
for the path (relative) to that file. It holds descriptions and other info
about each of the files. Each of the sources (CDs included) has this file,
usually in a directory named base. This is a Mandrake specific feature. There
as been a lot of discussion on the Mandrake-expert list about doing this. You
should go through the archives.

> I tried to simply do a rpm -UV *.rpm in the folder but came up with 6
> dependency failures.  I can only find 3 of the needed files on rpmfind.  When
> I ran it again after downloading those 3 files the dependency failure list
> GREW to over 15.  This is why I want to use the updater but I can't add the
> source.

Have you looked here ?

http://download.uk.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/3.0.2/Mandrake/8.2/

  As a first step I would grab all of this by :

wget -r http://download.uk.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/3.0.2/Mandrake/8.2/

  You may have better luck if you use :

rpm -Uvh *

  or better yet :

urpmi *

when you go to do your install.

  I haven't fooled around with KDE3 so I can't be more specific. A bit of
google searching will reveal the path that others have followed...

--
Kevin O'Connor

  "People will be free to devote themselves to activities that are fun ...

The GNU Manifesto - Copyright (C) 1985, 1993 Free Software Foundation, Inc.