Forum to discuss and answer questions on Enterprise Agreement

technomage plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 19:18:57 -0700

read below..

On Wednesday 03 July 2002 05:58 pm, you wrote:
> Hi, all-
>
> My two cents-
>
> We have no basis for thinking that Paul Allsing is the enemy- but if
> we approach him as such, we will surely make an enemy of him. It looks
> like Maricopa County has a lot of money and time invested in
> developing their intranet, e-mail system, etc on the Microsoft OS, and
> asking them to walk away from that will be a hard sell. The bottom
> line is that it is unrealistic to expect the County to cease using
> Microsoft products immediately.
this is a given. immediacy is not possible given the current level of
infestation that microsoft now enjoys.

> The thing that is potentially in our favor here is that if Mr. Allsing
> begins to introduce Linux where he can, even on a test basis or as a
> pilot project, he will likely enjoy a great deal of media exposure,
> and he can let it be known that he is both an innovator and someone
> who is saving the taxpayer's $$$. We should let him know that, and
> offer our support.
This actually started happening at IBM a few years back and now look. they
are using linux as a top selling point 9and being very successful with it as
well). mostly, the issue here is time. starting a pilot project and assisting
in converting systems over will definitely cause a lot less fuss in the long
run.

Technomage

numbered!
My life is my own - No. 6