an email i would like to send to KTAR 620

tickticker plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 12:07:08 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0088_01C2228A.279F55A0

i just added the url:

http://www.technicaljanitors.com/main/who_is_using_linux.php

thanks to Tom Emerson

anthony
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: tickticker=20
  To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us=20
  Sent: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 11:58 AM
  Subject: an email i would like to send to KTAR 620

  Should I send this off and hope for some reaction? or does it suck and =
somebody else should?  or am i just forgetting something? and I'm not =
sure if i should keep the very last line and url in as our page doesn't =
mention this topic.

  anthony
  =20
  =20
  Hello,

  As a longtime listener, I thought that a little local government news =
that isn't getting ANY popular press but has far reaching impact might =
be worth a few words of discussion.

  The state of Arizona, as well as several if not all counties and =
school districts, has a clause for debarring contractors if they have =
violated certain Federal laws concerning Antitrust activities.  Last =
year, Microsoft was found guilty of just such actions and are now in the =
penalty phase.  A large group of concerned citizens has realized that =
many of our goverment agencies are therefore "breaking the rules" by =
spending MILLIONS on contracts with Microsoft when they should not even =
be in the running for these contracts.

  Here is an excerpt from an email I sent to my County Councilman:

  "According to MC1-902 DEBARMENT AND SUSPENSION OF CONTRACTORS, I read =
the following:

  "B. The causes for Debarment or Suspension shall include, but are not
  limited to, the following:
  2. Conviction of any Person or any subsidiary or affiliate of any =
Person
  under any statute of the Federal government, this State or its =
political
  subdivision or any other State for:
  k. Any other offense indicating a lack of business integrity or =
business
  honesty which affects responsibility as a Contractor.
  3. Conviction or civil judgment finding a violation by any Person or =
any
  subsidiary or affiliate of any Person under State or Federal Antitrust
  Statutes."

  Microsoft, having been convicted of Federal Antitrust Statutes =
(penalties pending), clearly falls into the catagory described in part =
3, and several court cases past and pending show a clear lack of =
integrity and business honesty as outlined in part 2.  I cannot find =
that ANY government body would be willing to work with such contractors, =
let alone having rules against it and clearly ignoring those rules.

  There are many alternatives to Microsofts products.  Alternatives that =
have broken no laws, Federal or Local, are well supported and used by =
many large governments (Germany, Taiwan, et al).  As a concerned voter =
in Chandler, I must point out that I cannot support criminal behavior =
and would hope that my County Council would see fit to do the same and =
ONLY consider alternatives as Microsoft is clearly unqualified to meet =
County requirements."

  The county has responded to us thus:

  "You recently inquired about the County's use of Microsoft products =
and the manner in which we license their software.  We appreciate your =
interest in the County's technology plans.  To provide a forum in which =
to discuss our technology direction and address any questions you may =
have, we will have Information Technology staff members available to =
meet with citizens at 8:30 am on Monday July 8th.  The meeting location =
will be the County Administration Building at 301 W. Jefferson in Suite =
420.  Please RSVP your attendance so we can ensure that adequate =
facilities are available for the meeting.

  Thank you for your inquiry,=20
  Paul Allsing=20
  Deputy CIO=20
  Maricopa County=20
  301 W Jefferson, Suite 420=20
  Phoenix, AZ 85003 "

  Yes, this Monday.  If you are at all interested and would like further =
information for perusal, feel free to reply to this email or view the =
following urls:

  http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=3D02/06/17/1651231&tid=3D103 =
(Slashdot)

  and again here: =
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=3D02/07/01/1832218&mode=3Dthread&tid=3D=
167

  =
http://pluglist.mybutt.net/pipermail/plug-discuss/2002-July/026752.html =
(discussion thread of Phoenix Linux user Group)

  =
http://pluglist.mybutt.net/pipermail/plug-discuss/2002-June/025868.html =

http://pluglist.mybutt.net/pipermail/plug-discuss/2002-June/026044.html =
(discussion thread of Phoenix Linux user Group)

  =
http://pluglist.mybutt.net/pipermail/plug-discuss/2002-June/026345.html =
(discussion thread of Phoenix Linux user Group)

  Alternatives to Microsoft are secure and even used by governments =
(Germany, Taiwan) with the cost being inexpesive and the total cost of =
ownership being 50% less.

  We are organizing several meetings about how to handle the Monday =
meeting, interested parties can follow along at our website:

  http://plug.phoenix.az.us/

  Thank you,

  Anthony Milbauer
  (480) 659-9920

------=_NextPart_000_0088_01C2228A.279F55A0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>i&nbsp;just added the url:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://www.technicaljanitors.com/main/who_is_using_linux.php">htt=
p://www.technicaljanitors.com/main/who_is_using_linux.php</A></FONT></DIV=

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>thanks to Tom Emerson</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>anthony</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A href=3D"mailto:tickticker@cox.net" =
title=3Dtickticker@cox.net>tickticker</A>=20
  </DIV>
  href=3D"mailto:plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us"=20
  =
title=3Dplug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>plug-discuss@lists.plug.pho=
enix.az.us</A>=20
  </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, July 03, 2002 =
11:58=20
  AM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> an email i would like =
to send to=20
  KTAR 620</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
  <DIV>Should I send this off and hope for some reaction? or does it =
suck and=20
  somebody else should?&nbsp; or am i just forgetting something? and I'm =
not=20
  sure if i should keep the very last line and url in as our page =
doesn't=20
  mention this topic.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>anthony</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello,</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>As a longtime listener, I thought =
that a little=20
  local government news that isn't getting ANY popular press but has far =

  reaching impact might be worth a few words of discussion.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The state of Arizona, as well as =
several if not=20
  all counties and school districts, has a clause for debarring =
contractors if=20
  they have violated certain Federal laws concerning Antitrust =
activities.&nbsp;=20
  Last year, Microsoft was found guilty of just such actions and are now =
in the=20
  penalty phase.&nbsp; A large group of concerned citizens has realized =
that=20
  many of our goverment agencies are therefore "breaking the rules" by =
spending=20
  MILLIONS on contracts with Microsoft when they should not even be in =
the=20
  running for these contracts.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Here is an excerpt from an email I =
sent to my=20
  County Councilman:</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"According to MC1-902 DEBARMENT AND =
SUSPENSION OF=20
  CONTRACTORS, I read the following:</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"B. The causes for Debarment or =
Suspension shall=20
  include, but are not<BR>limited to, the following:<BR>2. Conviction of =
any=20
  Person or any subsidiary or affiliate of any Person<BR>under any =
statute of=20
  the Federal government, this State or its political<BR>subdivision or =
any=20
  other State for:<BR>k. Any other offense indicating a lack of business =

  integrity or business<BR>honesty which affects responsibility as a=20
  Contractor.<BR>3. Conviction or civil judgment finding a violation by =
any=20
  Person or any<BR>subsidiary or affiliate of any Person under State or =
Federal=20
  Antitrust<BR>Statutes."</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Microsoft, having been convicted of =
Federal=20
  Antitrust Statutes (penalties pending), clearly falls into the =
catagory=20
  described in part 3, and several court cases past and pending show a =
clear=20
  lack of integrity and business honesty as outlined in part 2.&nbsp; I=20
  cannot&nbsp;find that ANY government body would be willing to work =
with such=20
  contractors, let alone having rules against it and clearly ignoring =
those=20
  rules.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>There are many alternatives to =
Microsofts=20
  products.&nbsp; Alternatives that have broken no laws, Federal or =
Local, are=20
  well supported and used by many large governments (Germany, Taiwan, et =

  al).&nbsp; As a concerned voter in Chandler, I must point out that I =
cannot=20
  support criminal behavior and would hope that my County Council would =
see fit=20
  to do the same and ONLY consider alternatives as Microsoft is clearly=20
  unqualified to meet County requirements."</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>The county has responded to us thus:</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>"<FONT face=3D"Courier New, Courier" size=3D2>You recently =
inquired about the=20
  County's use of Microsoft products and the manner in which we license =
their=20
  software.&nbsp; We appreciate your interest in the County's technology =

  plans.&nbsp; To provide a forum in which to discuss our technology =
direction=20
  and address any questions you may have, we will have Information =
Technology=20
  staff members available to meet with citizens at 8:30 am on Monday =
July=20
  8th.&nbsp; The meeting location will be the County Administration =
Building at=20
  301 W. Jefferson in Suite 420.&nbsp; Please RSVP your attendance so we =
can=20
  ensure that adequate facilities are available for the=20
  meeting.<BR></FONT><BR><FONT face=3D"Courier New, Courier" =
size=3D2>Thank you for=20
  your inquiry,</FONT> <BR><FONT face=3D"Courier New, Courier" =
size=3D2>Paul=20
  Allsing</FONT> <BR><FONT face=3D"Courier New, Courier" size=3D2>Deputy =
CIO</FONT>=20
  <BR><FONT face=3D"Courier New, Courier" size=3D2>Maricopa =
County</FONT> <BR><FONT=20
  face=3D"Courier New, Courier" size=3D2>301 W Jefferson, Suite =
420</FONT> <BR><FONT=20
  face=3D"Courier New, Courier" size=3D2>Phoenix, AZ 85003</FONT> <FONT=20
  face=3D"Courier New">"</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3D"Courier New">Yes, this Monday.&nbsp; If you are at =
all=20
  interested and would like further information for perusal, feel free =
to reply=20
  to this email or view the following urls:</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3D"Courier New"><A=20
  =
href=3D"http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=3D02/06/17/1651231&amp;tid=3D1=
03">http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=3D02/06/17/1651231&amp;tid=3D103</=
A>=20
  (Slashdot)</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3D"Courier New">and again here: <A=20
  =
href=3D"http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=3D02/07/01/1832218&amp;mode=3D=
thread&amp;tid=3D167">http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=3D02/07/01/18322=
18&amp;mode=3Dthread&amp;tid=3D167</A></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><A=20
  =
href=3D"http://pluglist.mybutt.net/pipermail/plug-discuss/2002-July/02675=
2.html">http://pluglist.mybutt.net/pipermail/plug-discuss/2002-July/02675=
2.html</A>&nbsp;(discussion=20
  thread of Phoenix Linux user Group)</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><A=20
  =
href=3D"http://pluglist.mybutt.net/pipermail/plug-discuss/2002-June/02586=
8.html">http://pluglist.mybutt.net/pipermail/plug-discuss/2002-June/02586=
8.html</A>&nbsp;(discussion=20
  thread of Phoenix Linux user Group)</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><A=20
  =
href=3D"http://pluglist.mybutt.net/pipermail/plug-discuss/2002-June/02604=
4.html">http://pluglist.mybutt.net/pipermail/plug-discuss/2002-June/02604=
4.html</A>&nbsp;(discussion=20
  thread of Phoenix Linux user Group)</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><A=20
  =
href=3D"http://pluglist.mybutt.net/pipermail/plug-discuss/2002-June/02634=
5.html">http://pluglist.mybutt.net/pipermail/plug-discuss/2002-June/02634=
5.html</A>&nbsp;(discussion=20
  thread of Phoenix Linux user Group)</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Alternatives to Microsoft are secure and even used by governments =

  (Germany, Taiwan) with the cost being inexpesive and the total cost of =

  ownership being 50% less.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>We are organizing several meetings about how to handle the Monday =

  meeting, interested parties can follow along at our website:</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><A =
href=3D"http://plug.phoenix.az.us/">http://plug.phoenix.az.us/</A></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Thank you,</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Anthony Milbauer</DIV>
  <DIV>(480) 659-9920</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0088_01C2228A.279F55A0--