Certifications - Thoughts?

Blake Barnett plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
26 Feb 2002 09:31:19 -0700

I took the RedHat cert through them and finished it in 15 minutes (I
think they give you an hour and a half!) , and was certified "Master
Linux Red Hat Administrator" (the title still cracks me up).    I took
it for free otherwise I wouldn't have done it...

All in all, it was an accurate test, but in general I think
certifications are retarded.  They don't reflect real-world knowledge,
only a hands-on test can do that.  And it would require some
subjectivity to judge.

I think they're more of a fun 'test your knowledge' type of thing than
something to hang on your wall and be proud of.  Things like that
require years to acquire (college diploma, etc).