PNUG feedback?

Bob George plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 01:50:47 -0700

"J.Francois" <frenchie@magusnet.com> wrote:

> How receptive would PNUG be to Zebra?

Heh, if it's not routing IPX, probably not very. :)

> On a flavor of BSD running with
> Linux binary support of course :) ..... <ducking>

I believe Zebra is being developed directly on BSD (Free, Open and Net).

Novell launched NDS for Linux back in 2000. 'Course I never heard much of it
since then. Damned shame too, NDS was pretty slick. Then there's the whole
Caldera-Novell saga.

I do know PNUG used to be very heavy into getting commercial sponsorship for
events and such, so I'm not too sure how welcome Linux advocacy would be.
Still, I imagine folks there would be as curious as any other group of
techies. I think we'd want to just present the facts about Linux, and not go
off on any tangents about the evils of Microsoft and such, at least if we
ever wanted an invite back.

Also, they might be more impressed with a practical demonstration of how
Linux can integrate into, and enhance existing commercial environments than
how to install it. Showing Samba tied into an NT domain, Apache serving out
web services, etc. will probably get more attention. Especially if it's
being done on an old P120 with 64MB RAM (or less).

- Bob