FotR

Kevin Brown plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 06 Feb 2002 23:27:36 -0700

> I figure if we're gonna have a flamewar it should be about something
> important ;-).
>
> It is funny, though, to see the relationship pop up again and again. Now
> that I've finished rereading LotR I can pick up a couple of other things,
> then I'll go back to the HP stuff ( provided Compaq doesn't break them up ).
> I don't want to associate the two. HP isn't deserving of that :). After
> rereading Tolkien I find it to be inferior to commonized version we all
> remember, e.g. what's written and what's remembered by society don't match
> up exactly. Overall it's still an amazing work. For it's time it's
> miraculous. It also opened many other venues for authors that have followed
> Tolkien.

Can we say Dungeons & Dragons (think Elminster from Forgotten Realms, Fizban
from Dragonlance and the Death Gate Cycle Novels by Hickman and Weiss).

> I found the movie ( after having read the books over 20 years ago ) to be
> quite good. Now I'd like to see if it holds up under a refreshed image of
> the books. In any case I will be there opening day for Two Towers ( I rarely
> go to movies and avoid opening weeks like the plague ) and will make sure I
> have all 3 movies on DVD or whatever replaces it.

If opening day is like it was for FotR (not the midnight, but the actual
daylight hours of opening day), then it will be nice and quiet (20 people in
Centerpoint's largest theatre :) .  I had not read the books before (other than
the Hobbit).

> One of the coolest things I've seen was in a book store. There were two kids
> ( closer to 5 than 10 ) and the boy cried out "Cool. They've got Tolkien."
> The girl readily agreed that was indeed a good thing and dropped the HP item
> she had in her hands to pick up her own copy of Tolkien :). The dropping HP
> wasn't the cool part, but I thought it interesting.

Yeah, I've been seeing lots of that at Barnes & Noble and Borders.