Open Office issue

Andrew and Kimi Adams plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
31 Dec 2002 07:35:41 -0700

I have had problem in the past with Open Office, when the package was
installed originally from the Mandrake 8.2 CD during installation.  I
had attempted to remove or repair with the set up script which no longer
works, it just hangs.  I have searched the website with no luck on my
current problem and I hope that someone here has had a similar problem
occur with good solutions.

I removed all files, directories and rebooted my computer after the
removal just to be sure.  I copied the tar file from a CD burned with
Open Office to my home tmp directory and proceeded to ./install the
file.  It seemed to work and I made an icon on my desktop.  It actually
opens the program this time and I can open a file but when I change that
file and try to save, it says that the file was opened with invalid
parameters and all changes will be lost.  The only option is to click
the OK button and it closes.  Even if I try to open a new file, type and
then save, it says access to /root is denied.  I try to save in my home
directory but it still says invalid parameter.  I believe it's because
the program is under /root somehow.  I did not watch the install and
what it was doing.  Upon inspection, /root/OpenOffice.org1.01 exists but
only, ultimately, has a file of pspfontcache in ../share/psprint
directory.  The "program" I thought was under the
/usr/local/OpenOffice.org.1.0 path.  Since I don't know what the invalid
parameter is and just the save portion at this time doesn't work, I am
lost for a solution.

I really need to use Open Office and I can't seem to find a solution
anywhere that would fix this or what I may have done wrong.  Please
help.

Kimi Adams