Dot.Bombs AZ Style

plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 23:50:01 -0700 (MST)

I know I am coming into this thread late (I was in Vegas all weekend) but
as  a former DevelopOnline employee I have to give my shilling's worth.
DOL used LINUX wherever it made sense, from PostgreSQL database servers,
APACHE + PHP web servers, application servers, Qmail mail servers, the
list goes on... Most of the Windows machines in the stack were used to
support embedded tool sets from vendors whose tools were only available
for Windows. All the sysadmins, and even a handful of the developers ran
LINUX workstations as their primary machines. I have a feeling you were
taken through marketing on your way to the server room which would explain
your Windows workstation sightings. Hell, we even had Rasmum Lerdorf and
Richard Stallman hanging out in our office, and we hosted a Debian mirror.
How much more LINUX friendly can you get!? Although DOL has bitten the
dust, I believe they are due credit for making LINUX the major component
of their unique architecture and showing how flexible and powerful it
really is.

- Joel Dudley