text to speech software

Sun, 22 Dec 2002 11:13:47 -0700 (MST)

Am 19. Dec, 2002 schw=E4tzte Mike Starke so:

> Is there any text to speech software one would recommend
> for Linux? Preferably OS.

emacspeak-ss - Emacspeak speech server for several synthesizers
festival - speech synthesis system
recite - English text speech synthesizer
cowsay - a configurable talking cow
emacspeak - speech output interface to Emacs
flite - a small run-time speech synthesis engine
konq-speaker - text-to-speech plugins for Konqueror and Kate

There was work being done to get flite working well enough to use on the
iPAQ.

I've only used festival. Feeding it something with lots of symbols is kinda
fun. It had timing problems, e.g. starts subsequent sentences before
finishing the sentence it's on, so you get two layers of speech. I don't
know anyone else who's gotten that effect, so I must be special.

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/    http://www.TOLISGroup.com/
#  ... make it clear I support "Free Software" and not "Open Source",
#  and don't imply I agree that there is such a thing as a
#  "Linux operating system". - rms