bizarre Mozilla/Konqueror behavior

Thu, 19 Dec 2002 09:37:58 -0700 (MST)

Am 19. Dec, 2002 schw=E4tzte William Lindley so:

> The admittedly older books that I have infer that using the DOCTYPE will
> actively **break** your HTML documents.
>
> Presumably, the newer browsers "like but do not require" it, while
> documents with it will cause trouble with older browsers.  It's not clear
> at what point this changed...  Netscape 3? Netscape 4? IE 4? IE 5?
>
> I don't want to put anything in my HTML which will cause people to not be
> able to read them.  I believe in backwards compatibility.
>
> Or am I misunderstanding this behaviour?

Yes.

A proper DOCTYPE declaration will not break the document, rather the lack o=
a DOCTYPE declaration will.

There might be some browsers that don't handle it properly but they are
borken beyond belief if they actually don't render the page properly due to
a DOCTYPE declaration.

The DOCTYPE declaration has been required from the beginning. One of the
issues was which one to use.

Browsers released in the last few years should still be able to render the
parts of the page they understand.

ciao,

der.hans
--=20