Open Source/Free Software in Maricopa Government

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 13:36:38 -0700 (MST)

Michael Havens said:
> On Monday 09 December 2002 12:34 pm, Gary Nichols wrote:
>> Sorry to seem sarcastic, but I get irate knowing that they are wasting
>> my tax dollars on stuff that could be done SOOO much cheaper.
>
> Someone who knows alot about this (not me) should write a letter to the
> editor  about how much money the government is wasting on Computer
> applications when  there is such a viable option!

You have the story wrong.  Currently 'government' applications are
generally so specific even large vendors dont offer products that work for
them.  Currently what the free software world has to offer governments is
stable/secure/low cost infrastructure pieces (which is a lot), but to say
they are wasting money on 'applications' is not true.  At least not until
there are free software equivalents.

I dont yet know of a criminal justice system that is free, I dont know of
human resource software capable of cutting 15,000 employees pay checks, I
dont know of fund accounting system that handles grants and 2.5 billion in
revenues etc....

Could savings be realized with infrastructure changes? surely. (yes i
consider an office product a insfrastructure piece at this point)

I think the real free software movement that should happen is instead of
going out to RFP for a system, goverment agencies should 'pool' developers
and make GPL systems that then ANY agency could obtain at not cost.  This
is an ESSAY I have in the works so I wont expound here.

> Or else make a suggestion to a columnist to do an article on this
> matter.  There are so many of you out there who know so much and might
> be able to  offer your help as technical reference.

Journalists to date arent much interested in this.  With budget crunches
it might be more of a story, but frankly if its not sex or violence it
dont sell.

-Derek