Update

Patrick Fleming EA plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 09:39:14 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Michael Havens wrote:

> On Tuesday 17 December 2002 08:44 pm, Patrick Fleming EA wrote:
> > The following image should point to your new kernel- whatever you have
> > named it. vmlinuz-2.4.20 happens to be the name of my latest kernel.
>
> Yes. Mine also is 2.4.20
> So then it appears that I needn't change anything? But make lilo look like:
> >
> > > image=/boot/vmlinuz
> > > 	label=linux
> > > 	root=/dev/hda5
> > > 	initrd=/boot/initrd.img
> > > 	append="devfs=mount quiet"
> > > 	vga=788
> > > 	read-only
> > > image=/boot/vmlinuz
> > > 	label=linux-nonfb
> > > 	root=/dev/hda5
> > > 	initrd=/boot/initrd.img
> > > 	append="devfs=mount"
> > > 	read-only
> > > image=/boot/vmlinuz
> > > 	label=failsafe
> > > 	root=/dev/hda5
> > > 	initrd=/boot/initrd.img
> > > 	append="devfs=nomount failsafe"
> > > 	read-only
> > > other=/dev/fd0
> > > 	label=floppy
> > > 	unsafe
> >
> Is this correct?
>
> I don't quite catch your meaning when you say, "Try changing the section that
> you added to point to the kernel you copied from bzImage to
> /etc/vmlinuz-(whatever) then pausing lilo long enough to select the new
> kernel."
Did I write this? I meant your new kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20 with
(whatever) being the rest of the name you supplied. When booting, select
the new kernel, but read the read of my comments below.

>because vmlinuz is only in /boot and the symbolic link (in boot
> also) points to the correct kernel
> file:/boot/vmlinuz is the symbolic link in the same directory.
> file:/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.19-16mdk is the kernel the link used to point to

Change vmlinuz to point back to /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.19-16mdk
Now you should have two images that can be booted by selecting them at
boot time. /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.19-16mdk and your new one
/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20. You want at least one known good working kernel to
fallback on in case the new one doesn't work. vmlinuz-2.4.19-16mdk is
known to work. DO NOT remove it, rename it, change the symbolic link, etc.
until you know for sure that your new kernel works. I don't even remove
them at that point, since I might find something stupid wasn't compiled
into the kernel.

After these couple of changes rerun lilo, and reboot. Your boot menu
should allow you to select the new kernel...

--
Patrick Fleming, EA
http://myhdvest.com/patrickfleming